My internship at Lloyds Banking Group

BSc economics student Durra during an internship at Lloyd’s Banking Group.

Meet Durra, a 3rd-year BSc Economics student, as she shares her internship experience at Lloyd’s Banking Group and offers tips and advice to help you secure an internship opportunity to kick-start your career…

I had the incredible opportunity to intern at Lloyds Banking Group based in Bristol Harbourside, where I worked in the Finance department with the Cost Team. My primary motivation for pursuing this internship was to gain hands-on working experience in the finance sector and to improve my personal and professional skills. Reflecting on my 8-week experience, I wanted to share how I secured this internship and what I gained from it—along with some insights into the personal growth and benefits I have experienced during my time here.

How I secured the internship: Tips and strategies

Getting an internship at a leading financial institution like Lloyds Banking Group requires a strategic approach. Here’s how I went about it:

• Research and alignment: The first step was to identify companies that matched my career interests and values. I knew I wanted to work in finance, so I began researching institutions where I could learn from the best. Lloyds Banking Group stood out due to its reputation, commitment to sustainability, and innovative approach to finance. I thoroughly studied their business areas, culture, and the skills they sought in candidates. This groundwork helped me understand exactly what Lloyds was looking for and how I could position myself as a strong candidate.
  • Tailoring applications: I tailored my CV and cover letter for each role, highlighting relevant experiences, skills, and enthusiasm for the opportunity. It is essential to show how you can add value to the company, and customization is key. I emphasized my academic background in economics and how my skills would add value to the Finance department.
  • Interview preparation: For the interview, I focused on aligning my answers with the company’s values. I used the STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) technique to structure my responses, ensuring they were clear, concise, and impactful. I prepared examples that showcased my skills in problem-solving, teamwork, and adaptability, and I made sure to convey my genuine enthusiasm for the role.
Durra, BSc Economics student inside Lloyds Banking Group in Bristol
Durra, BSc Economics student at Lloyds Banking Group Harbourside Office in Bristol.

My internship experience: Personal growth and new skills

My journey at Lloyds Banking Group was not just about fulfilling my role but also about personal and professional growth. Working in the Cost Team, I was deeply involved in several key responsibilities that shaped my understanding of the finance sector and significantly enhanced my skills.

• Gaining practical experience: I was actively involved in cost management within the BCB (Business & Commercial Banking) and CIB (Commercial & Institutional Banking) areas and overseeing remediation and rectification processes. These responsibilities gave me a unique opportunity to contribute to critical financial decisions and understand the strategic importance of maintaining accuracy and compliance across the board. The hands-on experience with cost allocations processes, budget reviews, business spending forecasts and other financial initiatives has significantly enriched my understanding of the finance sector.
    • Developing analytical and presentation skills: One of the most significant aspects of my internship was participating in a team project focused on sustainability challenges related to ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance) issues. I worked with three other interns to analyse how Lloyds could address these challenges more effectively, and we presented our findings to senior management. Additionally, I delivered a presentation recommending improvements for managing a high-risk customer. These experiences sharpened my analytical skills and helped me learn how to communicate complex ideas clearly and persuasively—a crucial skill in any professional environment.
    • Networking and mentorship: Being part of Lloyds Banking Group provided me with invaluable networking opportunities. I had the chance to connect with professionals across different departments, learning from their experiences and gaining insights into various career paths. Additionally, the mentorship I received from my manager and colleagues was instrumental in my development. Their guidance helped me navigate the complexities of my role and understand the bigger picture of strategic decision-making in a large financial institution.
    • Building confidence and professionalism: Shadowing my manager, attending meetings, and contributing to team discussions helped me build confidence in my professional abilities. I observed how decisions are made, how to communicate effectively in a corporate environment, and how important it is to align financial planning with broader business objectives.

“This exposure has not only enhanced my technical skills but also strengthened my ability to work collaboratively, think critically, and adapt quickly to new challenges.”

Durra, BSc Economics student working at her desk during her internship at Lloyds Banking Group Harbourside office in Bristol.
Durra, BSc Economics student during her internship at Lloyds Banking Group in Bristol.

Reflecting on the benefits of my internship

Overall, my internship at Lloyds Banking Group was an enriching experience that significantly contributed to my personal and professional development. I gained new skills, built valuable networks, and developed a deeper understanding of the finance sector. The experience challenged me to step out of my comfort zone, embrace new opportunities, and grow in ways I had not anticipated. It also shaped my thinking about my future career ambitions—I now have a clearer sense of direction and am more confident about pursuing a career in finance, particularly in areas related to financial strategy, cost management, and corporate finance.

“This internship confirmed my passion for the field and solidified my desire to continue building my career within the financial industry.”

If I had to summarise my biggest takeaway, it would be the importance of staying open to learning and being adaptable. Each day brought new challenges, and each challenge was an opportunity to learn and grow. The support from my team, mentors and fellow interns made this journey incredibly rewarding, and I am eternally grateful for the experience. For anyone considering an internship, I highly recommend starting early, being proactive, and remaining open to every opportunity that comes your way. An internship at a place like Lloyds can be a fantastic way to kick-start your career and build a solid foundation for the future.

Durra, BSc Economics student outside Lloyds Banking Group Harbourside office in Bristol.

Where could a degree in economics take you? Find out more about studying an undergraduate degree in economics at Bristol.